[CFR-Clips] Republican to Introduce Bill to Give State Power to Condemn and Acquire PGE

Dan Meek dan at meek.net
Tue Mar 24 19:42:58 CDT 2009

  Will Oregon Lawmakers Get The State to Buy PGE?

March 24th 2009 5:35pm

BY: Nigel Jaquiss <http://www.wweek.com/wwire/?author_id=21>

Biglow Canyon <http://www.flickr.com/photos/31222852@N00/3383793588/>

For five years after Portland General Electric's former parent, Enron,
declared bankruptcy in 2001, various politicians---most notably former
Portland City Commissioner Erik Sten
<http://wweek.com/editorial/3408/10186/>---tried to find ways
<http://wweek.com/editorial/3204/7006/> for the public to buy the
state's largest utility. Private investors
<http://wweek.com/story.php?story=6127#comments_add> tried as well.

Although PGE and the state's second largest utility, PacifiCorp, are
investor-owned, publicly owned utilities are common around the country.
Residents of Los Angeles, Seattle, Orlando and many other large cities
get their electricity from publicly-owned sources.

In 2005, Oregon lawmakers led by Sens. Ryan Deckert (D-Beaverton), Dave
Nelson (R-Pendleton) and Rep. Vicki Berger (R-Salem) pushed Senate Bill
1008 through both houses of the Legislature. The bill would have created
Oregon Community Power
<http://oregoncub.org/archives/2005/05/senate_passes_o.php>, an entity
that would have established a structure for the state to acquire PGE.
Gov. Ted Kulongoski vetoed the bill. And in 2006, PGE sold stock to
investors ending, at least temporarily, interest in a public takeover.

But proponents of public ownership quietly came back with a related bill
in 2007 that put into law most of the structure necessary for Oregon
Community Power to buy PGE.

As soon as tomorrow, Berger will introduce a bill aimed at using that
structure.

"It's my priority bill and it basically says Oregon Community Power may
use eminent domain to acquire PGE," Berger says.

Berger, a fourth-term representative whose father wrote Oregon's bottle
bill, says she was motivated by recent news accounts
<http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/index.ssf?/base/news/1237607708116510.xml&coll=7>
of retiring PGE CEO Peggy Fowler's $4.5 million compensation. She says
she thinks such payments mean the utility is putting executives and
stockholders' interests ahead of ratepayers' interests and therefore,
electricity rates are higher than they should be.

"I think if PGE has $4.5 million to give away to Peggy Fowler, their
rates are too high," Berger says. "I'm aware of other models such as
Seattle Power and Light where public ownership works just fine."

PGE spokesman Steve Corson says the utility does not yet have
information about Berger's plans. "I'm hearing rumors of a bill, but
have no specifics," Corson says.