[CFR-Clips] Huge Campaign Contributions in Lane County

Dan Meek dan at meek.net
Mon Oct 27 00:51:27 CDT 2008

    BIG DOLLARS FLOW FROM LOCAL DONORS

By Edward Russo
The Register-Guard
Published: Oct 26, 2008 08:47AM

Most Lane County residents don't know Lee Babb and Carlos Barrera, but
the two Eugene men play a key role in this year's election.

Babb and Barrera are among the county's top campaign contributors. From
the spring primary contest to this fall's general election, they have
written big checks to their favorite candidates.

In Lane County, Babb and Barrera are among the 15 donors and their
Eugene-Springfield area businesses that collectively have given nearly
$500,000 to local and state candidates and causes this year, with more
disclosure reports to be filed with the state before the Nov. 4 election.

Timber company owner Aaron Jones of Eugene leads the list. Like Jones,
most of the big donors are Republicans and supportive of conservative
politicians and causes. Their most-chosen recipients: Jim Torrey for
Eugene mayor, Bobby Green for Lane County Commissioner, and Lane County
resident Rick Dancer for secretary of state.

Babb and his sister-in-law, Paula, co-owners of Delta Sand & Gravel, for
example, have contributed $33,000 to Torrey, a former Republican turned
Independent Party member. Torrey, a former two-term mayor, is in a
runoff with Mayor Kitty Piercy, a liberal Democrat, in the officially
nonpartisan race. Jones, the Babbs and Torrey's 10 other top business
donors collectively have provided Torrey $134,899 so far this year,
according to state campaign reports.

But a couple of the biggest Lane County private contributors this year
are Democrats, including Barrera. They support Piercy, along with fellow
liberal Rob Handy in his battle against moderate Democrat Green for the
north Lane County commissioner seat.

Nationwide, many citizens give one or two small campaign contributions,
while a relatively few donors give many large ones. Top donors write big
checks, $1,000, $5,000 or more at a time.

With such large donations, questions arise about the motivation and
influence of such donors. Why are they so generous and what do they hope
to accomplish with their money? With the growing expense of political
campaigns, does the generosity of donors translate to greater influence
if the candidates are elected?

Contributors interviewed said they aren't seeking favors. They said
their donations don't make them more influential than average residents.

"I don't think that any politician in this state is susceptible to
overdue influence from campaign contributions," said Eugene businessman
Randy Papé, president of the Papé Group construction equipment
dealership, who this year has given money to Torrey, Green and Dancer.
"I don't think any politician is for sale. It's not as if a politician
will say, 'If you write a check to my campaign, I will vote anyway you
want.'"

Contested races for legislative and statewide offices have been
expensive for years, but now some local races are costing hundreds of
thousands of dollars.

The latest campaign disclosure reports show that so far Piercy and
Torrey have spent $779,990 between them, with Green and Handy spending a
combined $404,746. Much of Handy's and Piercy's donations have come from
scores of small donors, giving less than $100.

However, any candidate welcomes large contributions to help them with
increasingly expensive television advertising, brochures and other
campaign expenses. That makes fundraising more important to people
seeking public office, said Ed Weeks, a University of Oregon associate
professor of planning, public policy and management.

"There is no question that large contributions are crucial to funding
campaigns," he said. "And with those contributions comes influence."

So far this year, Jones, whose sawmill is just north of Eugene off
Highway 99, has made $114,486 in political contributions to local and
state-level races and causes, by far the most of any Lane County donor.
That tally, like all other donation amounts in this article, excludes
donations to federal-­level candidates.

Jones' donations have gone to state and local candidates --- including
$47,000 to Dancer, $5,000 to Torrey and $4,000 to Green --- plus
Republican and other conservative political action committees.

The 87-year old Jones "has a passion for good government," said Dale
Riddle, vice president at Jones' Seneca Sawmill. Jones doesn't try to
influence candidates with his donations, Riddle said, adding that Jones
already is familiar with the politicians and the issues because of his
longtime political and charitable involvements.

Jones' donations are meant to "getting like-minded people in office," he
said, "not getting them to change their mind after they get elected."

Like most voters, big donors look for politically compatible candidates
to support.

Deborah Noble, co-owner of West Wind Forest Products in Eugene, for
years has been a generous supporter of local liberal candidates and causes.

"I feel a responsibility to be involved with our political process,"
said Noble, this year a major donor to Handy and Piercy. "There are many
compelling issues and there are effective candidates who share my values."

So far this election, Noble has given $24,425 to candidates and ballot
measures, including $7,268 to Piercy and $9,107 in donations and loans
to Handy.

"As a business owner and manager, I understand it takes a certain level
of funding for a successful campaign," she said.

Noble said she supports Piercy because she is a better candidate than
Torrey.

"I am keenly aware of wanting both a successful business and of keeping
Eugene a great place to live," she said. "Jim Torrey did not always make
good business decisions."

When Torrey was mayor, "Eugene gave Glenwood to Springfield," Noble
said. "Just think of what an asset that would be to our community today
for business, industrial opportunities and for that river­front resource."

Barrera, a retired electrical contractor, this year has emerged as a
major donor to liberal candidates.

Until recently, Barrera had been a relatively small political donor. Two
years ago, he gave $1,000 to Mapleton businessman Bill Fleenor, who went
on to defeat Lane County Commissioner Anna Morrison.

But this year Barrera increased his giving in a big way, giving $24,353
to Handy and $17,500 to Piercy. Barrera is co-chairman of the Friendly
Area Neighbors. He knows Handy, a River Road neighborhood association
leader.

"When Rob Handy declared that he was going to run for county
commissioner, I was just thrilled," Barrera said. "Normally, I am not
thrilled about things like that, but I've worked with Rob Handy and I'm
very impressed by his personal character. He is the kind of person who
walks the talk, and his values are very attuned to the community."

Elected officials sometimes play decisive roles in matters that are
important to donors.

In July, the Eugene City Council rejected a request by Delta Sand &
Gravel to expand its gravel mining operation onto adjacent farmland.
Councilors split along conservative vs. liberal lines, with Piercy
breaking a 4-4 tie to deny the company's bid. A majority of the Lane
County Board of Commissioners, including Green, voted for the expansion.

The matter is now before the state Land Use Board of Appeals, and there
is a chance that the City Council and mayor will take the request up again.

Lee Babb, who describes himself as politically conservative, said he's
supporting Torrey.

"I would be supporting Jim Torrey even if Kitty Piercy had voted for
(the company's expansion)," Babb said. "I'm just very disappointed in
the management of our city by the present mayor."

Torrey understands the needs of business and what it takes to create
living-wage jobs, he said. With Piercy "all we get is talk, talk, talk,"
Babb said. "It just seems like we are not on the right path." The Babbs
have donated $33,000 to Torrey and $16,000 to Green.

Conservative business people aren't the only ones who can benefit from
having like-minded politicians in office.

Noble is one of the south Eugene residents who urged the city to buy 40
acres of forest land in the Amazon head­waters from Aurora developer Joe
Green. Residents wanted the city to preserve the property as open space.
The 40 acres is about a third of a mile from Noble's home.

Piercy played a key role in decisions that eventually led the city to
buy the property three months ago for $1.6 million. Noble and other
residents still want the city to acquire and protect another nearby
26-acre forest parcel.

Noble said she did not contribute to the mayor as a reward for the Green
property acquisition. "I supported Kitty long before the Joe Green
property became a council issue," she said.

Papé is the president of Eugene-based Papé Group, which, among other
things, owns construction equipment dealers and an aircraft fueling and
maintenance company.

Papé and his firm have given $25,675 to broad range of candidates and
causes, including $3,000 to Green and $1,000 to the Lane Community
College bond measure campaign. Elected officials don't always vote the
way their contributors want them to, Papé said. A few years ago, Green
voted against an expansion bid by Eugene Sand & Gravel, which Papé
supported.

But Papé, a former member of the state Transportation Commission, has
worked with Green on road issues, and he's supporting Green for re-election.

"Bobby has tremendous experience and is extremely dedicated to his job
as Lane County Commissioner," Papé said.

In spite of his money, Pape said he doesn't expect to be treated
differently than any other campaign supporter.

When he was younger, Papé used to walk door to door for then-Gov. Vic
Atiyeh and other Republican candidates.

"That takes a lot more energy than writing a check," said Papé, 58. "I
certainly don't have any more influence than a campaign worker bee."

Weeks, the UO professor, said large contributions do not necessarily
result in specific favors from elected officials. But large contributors
often have political influence, he said.

"The influence might not be a formal quid pro quo on a specific issue,
but a tacit understanding that the candidate will act consistent with
the interest of a large contributor," Weeks said. "In any case, the
large contributor is corrosive to the extent that it acts as a restraint
on the incumbent's freedom of action. I would not want my representative
to weigh the public interest against the preference of a small set of
large contributors."

Senior editor Christian Wihtol contributed to this report.