[CFR-Announce] Oregon Court of Appeals Ruling Does Not Stop the Circulation of Campaign Finance Reform Measures

Dan Meek dan at meek.net
Wed Apr 26 23:28:20 EDT 2006

The Oregon Court of Appeals, in a decision received today, ruled that
our one-sentence proposed amendment to the Oregon Constitution, to allow
enactment of limits on political contributions and spending, somehow
amends the Constitution in several "unrelated" ways.

This decision will be taken to the Oregon Supreme Court, where I am
confident we will win.  Recently, the Oregon Supreme Court has not
accepted the reasoning of the Court of Appeals in "one amendment" cases.

In the meantime, we will continue to collect the signatures needed to
quality for the ballot.  We need essentially 101,000 valid signatures.
We have collected almost 120,000 to date but need an additional 20,000
an insurance.

Please continue with your dedicated efforts to get big money out of
Oregon politics!

Thanks.

Fairelections Oregon

www.fairelections.net

Daniel Meek, attorney

(503) 293-9021

dan at fairelections.net

Harry Lonsdale

(541) 549-1556

harry at fairelections.net

April 26, 2006

OREGON CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM ADVOCATES WILL SEEK REVIEW OF COURT OF
APPEALS RULING

Supporters of two campaign finance reform ballot measures will seek
review in the Oregon Supreme Court of today's ruling by the Oregon Court
of Appeals that Petition 8 proposes to enact more than one unrelated
change to the Oregon Constitution.

"Among those who disagree with the conclusion adopted by the Court of
Appeals are us, the Oregon Attorney General, and the Oregon Secretary of
State," said attorney Dan Meek. "We all argued that Petition 8, a
one-sentence amendment that would allow enactment of limits on campaign
financing in Oregon, is a valid change to the Oregon Constitution. But
the Court of Appeals agreed with the ACLU."

The decision does not halt the effort to qualify Petition 8 for the
ballot. Supporters need to submit 100,840 valid Oregon voter signatures
by July 7. They have already collected about 120,000 signatures and
intend to submit over 140,000 in order to ensure qualification for the
ballot.

Petition 8 is very simple. Here is the full text:

Notwithstanding any other provision of this Constitution, the people
through the initiative process, or the Legislative Assembly by a
three-fourths vote of both Houses, may enact and amend laws to prohibit
or limit contributions and expenditures, of any type or description, to
influence the outcome of any election.

Petition 8 is a limited expansion of legislative power in Oregon. It
modifies the Constitution to overcome the 1997 decision of the Oregon
Supreme Court that the Oregon Constitution does not allow any mandatory
limits on political contributions or expenditures.

The requirement that the Legislature can adopt such changes by 3/4 vote
of both houses is to prevent the Legislature, elected under the current
system of no limits, from repealing or eviscerating effective limits
enacted through the initiative process. In 2003, the Massachusetts
Legislature -- by voice vote -- repealed the “clean money” public
funding system enacted by initiative. In December 2004, an emergency
session of the Ohio Legislature voted to increase limits by factor of 4
and open various campaign financing loopholes for corporations, by votes
that were majorities but not 3/4 majorities.

"The Court of Appeals reasoning would also invalidate Oregon's income
tax "kicker" constitutional amendment," said Meek. That amendment was
enacted by voters in 2000. It put into Article IX, Section 14, of the
Oregon Constitution the mechanism for a mandatory tax credit equal to
all of the expected revenue in excess of that expected for the biennial
at the end of the previous legislative session. The revenue forecasts
are made by the Governor but can be changed by the Legislature "by a
two-thirds majority vote of all members elected to each House." If
changing the majority required for a legislative vote is a "separate and
unrelated" amendment to the Oregon Constitution, then the kicker
amendment was and is also invalid. "The validity of amendments can be
challenged after they are enacted," noted Meek. One Oregon court has
applied the 10-year "statute of ultimate repose" to such a challenge (to
the amendment creating the lottery), but the kicker amendment is well
within the 10-year period.

Petition 8 is endorsed by the Oregon Sierra Club, Alliance for
Democracy, OSPIRG, and many others.

                                                                           -30-