[CFR-Announce] Support Public Funding of Portland City Elections at April 7 Session ... or by email

Dan Meek dan at meek.net
Mon Apr 4 03:31:47 EDT 2005

At City Hall at 2:00 pm on Thursday, April 7, is the Portland City Council's session on public funding of city commissioner and auditor elections.

Public funding is a good idea, and I support it, although it would work better if we also had limits on private contributions.  Unfortunately, in Oregon the City cannot enact limits, thanks to the Oregon Supreme Court's 1997 decision that the Oregon Constitution does not allow any limits.  That is why we have Petition 8 for 2006, which allows the legislature or the people using the initiative process to enact political contribution limits.  Check it out at http://www.fairelections.net.

Nevertheless, public funding is better than the current system of paying for election campaigns, which consists of unlimited contributions from private interests--who expect and receive a return on their money from the elected politicians.

There will also be a noon press conference on the 4th Street side of City Hall featuring national experts, so if you only have time during your lunch hour, join us then.

Voter Owned Elections changes business as usual by allowing candidates to run for office by demonstrating widespread community support rather than dialing for dollars. Candidates qualify by raising a large number of small $5 contributions and are then eligible for adequate public dollars for a viable run. Strict rules limit spending and ensure that candidates use their money talking with voters. Portland gets a wider pool of candidates with diverse values and a real shot at winning a campaign. Working in Maine and Arizona for three election cycles; both of those states also have limits on private contributions to campaigns.

Can't be there on April 7th? Send an email to City Council.

First link is: http://www.oregonfollowthemoney.org/CampaignReform/Portland/portlandoverview.htm
Second link is: http://www.portlandonline.com/auditor/index.cfm?c=37740
Third link is: http://oregonfollowthemoney.org/cgi-bin/councilmail.pl

--